Monday, December 14, 2009

art review

Sophomore Review

On December fourth the annual sophomore review. It was beneficial for me to see where I need to go with my work, because i really had no clue where to go from where i was at. My favorite installation was Eliza's, I really like the giraffe that she had made out of bronze. Metal work is a whole another world to me, it's more of my brothers fortee, he's been welding for years but i have always been to unsure to try. The detail on the giraffe amazed me, i would be totally confused, however i was confused about wood until i worked with it also. I also really liked her drawings i have done the same images, they out from the drawing room, but hers where very clean and the use of charcol is way better then I could do.

Most of the students in the review I have had at least one class with and have seen their processes but it was cool to see their work all together to compare and contrast hat they have done over the year and a half we've all been here. Kate was the one that most surprised me. in the classes i have had her in her work seems free form but i got to see what she had been doing at her last school and i never knew before that she was a really good painter. i've only had her in 3-d type of classes so it was nice to see some of her other work that was not ceramics or sculpture. I also found interesting the work other people were doing that i haven't had in class. Such as Suzanne and Crystal, I was pleasantly surprised at what they had been doing in glass blowing. I really liked Crystals bowls, they showed her determination and skill in working with glass. My favorite of Crystals pieces was Patience ( the purple one) it had a weave patern on it that was really cool, she named it that because she had to re-do it a few times and it took a lot of patience in order to get the perfect bowl.

Suzanne's work always leaves me with my jaw dropped, all of her pieces have a lot of though in them and come out looking amazing. You can tell that she really loves what she does, and that has a confidence in her work that shows through her pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment